Grass-Fed Polish Sausage Stew with Lentils & Squash
Recipe by Bravo TV's Top Chef Season 5 winner, Hosea Rosenberg, Credit: IG user @Honest_Avocado
- 1 package Teton Waters Polish Sausage sliced into ¼ inch rounds
- 2 tablespoons vegetable or canola oil
- 4 cloves minced garlic
- 1 cup diced yellow onion
- 1 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1 cup diced yellow bell pepper
- 1/2 medium size acorn squash sliced into thin pieces or any fall /winter squash seeds removed, skin optional
- 1 ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes optional
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 bunch lacinato kale aka “dino kale”, ribs removed, chopped
- 1 cup green lentils
- 16 cups chicken stock 2 qts
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees
- Toss sliced squash with 2 Tablespoons EVOO + ½ teaspoon salt and pepper evenly. Lay out evenly on a sheet tray. Roast for 20 mins, stir halfway through. Check when tender. Remove and set aside.
- In a dutch oven, brown sausage pieces over high heat, stirring frequently with a slotted spoon. 4-5 min. Remove and set aside. Reserve oil in pot to keep warm.
- Turn heat down to med low. Add onions and peppers. Cook until the onions are translucent.
- Add garlic and sweat out all spices, and cook for 2-3 more minutes.
- Add stock and green lentils, and bring to a boil. Then turn down to a simmer. Cover for 20 minutes.
- Add chopped kale and sausage.
- Simmer for 30 more minutes, covered.
- Check seasoning and make sure lentils are soft.
- Add squash at the end and stir in, or reserve on the side as a topping to each bowl of stew.
- Serve immediately, and enjoy!warm crusty bread if desired!