Apple & Sausage Macaroni and Cheese
The classic dish you love with added fall flavors to fall in love with. Loaded with three cheeses, this autumn twist on mac & cheese has hints of sage, apples, and 100% grass-fed, grass-finished beef sausage for a taste of the season in every bite.
- 5 tablespoons Unsalted Butter
- 1 Yellow Onion Chopped
- 1 1/2 package TWR 100% Grass-Fed Beef Sausage
- 2 tablespoons Dried Sage
- 1 lb Gala Apples cored and cut into small pieces
- 1/3 cup Flour
- 2 1/2 cups Milk
- 8 ounces Sharp Cheddar Cheese shredded
- 8 ounces Havarti Cheese shredded
- 1 teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 1 teaspoon Black Pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Paprika
- 1 pound Large Shell Pasta
- 1/2 cup Breadcrumbs
- 1/3 cup Parmesan Cheese
- 1/4 cup of Parsley minced
- Preheat the oven to 375°F
- Dice sausage into bite sized pieces. Add butter, chopped onion and sausage to a deep saucepan. Let cook for 5 minutes over low-medium heat. Add apple, sage and stir for another 3 minutes.
- Pour in flour slowly and continue to stir. Once fully coated, add milk and stir for another 5 minutes. Add in half of the cheese, salt, pepper, paprika, and garlic powder. Cook and stir until cheese has melted. Pour in the remainder of the cheese, add 1/4 cup of milk if needed. Consistency should be thick.
- In a separate pot, bring water to a boil. Add elbow macaroni and cook for only half the amount of the time that the box instructions recommend. Drain pasta and transfer to a 9×13 baking dish.
- Pour cheese mixture over the pasta until evenly coated. Place in oven for 25-30 minutes.
- Mix breadcrumbs and parmesan cheese together in a small bowl. Top the baking dish with an even layer of breadcrumbs and parmesan. Place back into the oven for 15 minutes or until golden brown on top.
- Garnish the final baking dish with minced parsley and dig in!