Sausage and Kale Pesto Pizza
- 10 oz prepared pizza dough
- 1 link spicy Italian sausage casing removed
- 3-4 oz kale chopped coarsely (about 3 tightly packed cups worth)
- 1 tsp granulated sugar
- 3 Tbs sunflower seeds
- 1 garlic clove crushed
- pinch of crushed red pepper flakes
- 3 Tbs extra virgin olive oil
- 1 oz grated Parmesan cheese about 1/4 cup
- 2 oz shredded mozzarella cheese about 1/2 cup
- Preheat the broiler to high
- Bring the dough to room temperature
- Heat a 10-inch skillet (preferably cast iron) over medium high heat. Cook the sausage, crumbing as you go, for 3-4 minutes, or until it's browned. Remove from the pan.
- Add the kale, 2 tablespoons of water, and the sugar. Cover and cook for 2 minutes, or until the kale wilts. Remove the kale from the pan and place on a lint-free kitchen towel or double layer of paper towels. Squeeze to remove as much moisture as you can. Remove the skillet from heat.
- Pulse the nuts, red pepper flakes, and garlic in a food processor until finely chopped. Add the kale; pulse until finely chopped again. Add 2 tablespoons of the oil and process until it becomes a paste, adding 1-2 tablespoons of water if it's too thick. Stir in the parmesan cheese.
- Heat the remaining tablespoon of olive oil in the skillet over medium-high heat. Roll the dough into a 10 1/2 inch circle and transfer to the skillet. Press the dough light up the sides of the pan if you can.
- Top the dough evenly with the pesto, followed by the sausage and mozzarella.
- Cook 2 minutes, then transfer the pan to the oven and broil 2 to 3 minutes, or until the cheese is melted.
- Allow to cool 5 to 10 minutes, cut into 8 pieces, and serve.